Wednesday, December 14, 2005

alemania

I think the language to study is undoubtedly German. At least some key phrases anyway. That way when you want to, for example, have a fist fight with your 86 year old history of architecture professor for being a complete ass, you can do your stunning Chuck Norris roundhouse kicks with the added vocal effects of a German dictator. Now that'd be a force to reckon with. While in mid-air, you could just yell "my what a pretty kittycat you have!" and it will sound as if you are threatening imminent death to him and to his loved ones.

My one German phrase that I know and cherish as if it were a rare gem (thank you Karsten Steuber, my Logic professor at Holy Cross, who was German and often would start teaching us in German without realizing it) is "Der shnee ist weis!!!" Oh that's right, I SOOOO just went there... I pulled out the big guns. Throw in a few added exclamation points, some profuse sweating, and maybe some pulsating veins popping out of your head and just try to tell me it doesn't look like a threatening phrase. Sorry, but the same phase in English (the snow is white) and in Spanish (la nieve es blanca) just doesn't evoke that same level of cowering fear as its German counterpart.

Maybe if I were able to speak said language of 1/4 of my ancestry, I, the girl impossible to anger, would actually get mad every once in awhile just as an excuse to use it.

No comments: