Monday, January 16, 2006

Carenco


The new out of reach object of my affection is a certain Louisiana-bred, Boogie Kings guitarist-spawned Mr. Marc Broussard. During my very active vacation of watching good ole American television and physically feeling my brain cells pop one by one, I happened across a music video on one of the 2948729483 channels my dad now has on his cable. 'Twas a young man, the very Marc Broussard, singing the song "Home" (which remains my personal favorite of his) and I instantly downloaded pretty much every song possible of his in that illegal way I like to do it. Itunes? Pay??? Me? I think not... until I start my hypothetical career in my hypothetical field and make some hypothetical money, I will remain a cheap bastard. (Well it's not so much that I'm cheap so much as I'm broke. In debt, actually, is the appropriate term.) Anyway, I have now been keeping Marky-Brou, as he likes me to call him, on repeat on the trusty Ipod and boppin' along to his songs on the Metro. He's like pop mixed with rock mixed with honky tonk mixed with soul and blues... and it's just a Louisiana jumbalaya of southern goodness.

So, goodbye Howie Day... peace out Amos Lee... hasta lasagna (in the words of the loveable comic character Garfield) Damien Rice. I set you all free. Wait no I take that back... I'll keep Damien around on the side for the Irish accent (and ,well, he is a helluva crooner). But hello Marc Broussard. Just give me some overalls and a plaid shirt (I believe I may have some things laying around from 8th grade...) and let's go play on the farm and twang on some banjoes!

Two related tidbits
1. After giving a good 360degree turn to make sure nobody is around, I have the habit of singing in public as I walk. Self-entertainment, I suppose. However, usually I turn my head a few minutes later and find that a group of people has somehow magically materialized right behind me... and for some unknown reason they always have their eyebrows raised... It may or may not have something to do with the fact that:
2. I'm not exactly the best of singers, as anyone who's had the pleasure of hearing my angelic voice straight from the heavens can readily attest. God placed me in the womb and said, 'This girl shall henceforth turn heads with her voice." Well, He was right... because it is to the ear what a bag-full of rotting garbage is to the nose. That, in fact, should be on the analogies section of the SAT's.
So, to conclude, download 'Home' and hear what's currently got me embarassing myself. :0)

No comments: