Friday, August 19, 2005

14 days til lift off..

"Sitting around the house - watching the sun trace shadows on the floor - searching for signs of life but there's nobody home."
Pretty much describes my social life in EL,CT during the little time that I'm here. Everyone has moved, and I am here just going through the motions until that blessed day when I depart for Espanaaaa. Who cares if I'm already broke going into it... it's going to kick ass. Maybe we can turn our apartment into a whorehouse or something to get a little income...

Speaking of which. Last night, my dad's side of the family got together for a good ole Mattern cookout type shindig because my dad's cousin is up for the week from FL. Needless to say, my obsession with all that is Spanish came up more than once as a conversation topic. Well, said conversation arrived at aforementioned state of brokeness. So, I told the story about how the last time I was in Spain, I had told my dad I was going to start prostituting myself for money, trying to evoke some sympathy or a comment along the lines of 'don't worry we'll help you out.' instead, the comment: "good luck, you'll go broke" came out. SO, the extended fam is laughing at my story-telling, when my dad's cousin says: "Yeah I know, it's embarassing when they ask for change isn't it honey." Eventually the idea was even shared that I should implement frequent use cards, like in coffee shops where they punch a hole with each use and you get the 10th free. So, I got that goin for me. :o)

No comments: